Creating a Privy campaign that is shown to new visitors to your site when they arrive is the first step towards increasing your signups.
The first thing you need to decide is whether you want to offer a discount as an incentive for people signing up, exclusive content, a sweepstakes, or just a general ask. They all have advantages and disadvantages that you can read about here.
Once you know what you want to offer, log in to Privy and click on “New Campaign” in the top right of your screen.
1.Name your campaign: First, you’ll want to name your campaign. This is a name that only you will see so make it recognizable. Something like “Welcome Pop Up” and the date is usually a good way to start. When you’re done, click “Create Campaign”
2. Create your form: Now you will land within the campaign creation flow and you can decide whether you want to include a form or not and how many times a person can sign up. For a standard welcome campaign that asks for signups you should include the form. In other cases you’ll want to consider no form campaigns. If you want to also collect a visitor’s name, birthday and more by click on the “Add field” drop down menu. You can also decide to sync your contacts to your email provider from the “Add email sync” section. (Follow this link for instructions.)
3. Pick a template: When you click “Next” you will be asked to add a display. Here you’ll first choose whether you want to use a popup, flyout, banner, bar, or spin to win campaign. For a welcome popup, select popup and then one focused on sign ups. There are a lot of templates to choose from so look for one that is close to your branding already and then you can customize it. Or just go with something simple like this one.
4. Customize your popup: Using the elements bar on the left of your screen, you can edit any of the text and colors, add images, changing the background size and image, and more. There are detailed instructions for each of these available by searching the help docs. We recommend reviewing the text and making it your own before moving on to the next step.
5. Choose Your Triggers and Frequency: Next you will want to decide when your popup should launch. For a welcome pop up we recommend a timer at either 3 or 5 seconds that only is shown to each visitor once a week. That way you’re not overwhelming frequent visitors. Also note that once someone has signed up, they will not see the campaign again unless you have changed the validation rules in the form. We also recommend setting up a separate exit pop up and not using exit intent for this one. You can also read some best practices about triggers here.
6. Customize your thank you page: Once someone has filled out your form they will be sent to your thank you page. To customize this page go to the “After signup” section and click on “Thank You Page Design.” Here you will be able to edit the text, add any new links or images you want to show, and more using the elements bar on the left. Note: In paid subscriptions you can also choose to automatically redirect a visitor to a new page or close the window instead of showing the thank you page.
7. Create a Discount Code: If you’re offering a discount in exchange for signing up, select “Behavior” and then “Coupon.” Here you can enter a manual code or create one that will sync directly with a Shopify store. In our Commerce and higher plans you can also create unique coupon codes. To name your code, do something that explains the discount and is easy to remember. For example, if you’re offering 20% off to new sign ups than create a master code called WELCOME20.
8. Create an Autoresponder: An autoresponder is an email that goes out to new signups as soon as they fill out the form. This confirms that they have signed up and can include a link or coupon that you want to send them. Creating your autoresponder is simple. Just click the email section, then “Autoresponder” and start writing a short note. Once you are done, click “publish this email” at the top and save any changes. Not sure what to write? Here are some tips.
9. Hit Publish. Once you launch your campaign it will be live on your site! Yay!