In order to import a CSV file, it is important that you have your file structured appropriately prior to importing into Privy. The following criteria are required:
- The file must include an email address column.
- The first row of the file must contain the column headers.
- Download an example file.
- If you are importing some mailable and some non-mailble (unsubscribed) contacts, you should separate your contacts into two files. One for subscribers and one for unsubscribed users.
NOTE: Contacts will only be considered mailable once identified that way during the csv import process then approved by Compliance, but you can manually unsubscribe contacts one at a time as shown below.
1. After logging into your account, click on the Contacts tab on top navigation menu
2. Click the button on the right labelled Import From and Select CSV Upload
3. Click Choose File to locate the .csv file in your computer files. Once you have selected the file, click Next in the lower right corner.
4. On this next page you will match the column headers that you created with Customer Attributes in Privy (either from preexisting attributes or create new attributes in Privy). Use the drop-down menus to select an existing attribute or click Create New Field to create a new custom field. Once each field is mapped and one is identified as the required email field, click next.
5. Choose whether the file is a list of subscribed or unsubscribed contacts (each file must contain all subscribed or all unsubscribed contacts). There is a typed out validation where you will need to confirm your "Subscribed" or "Unsubscribed" contact status by typing out that word underneath your selection, and then click Next
6. Lastly, review and confirm your file upload by clicking Submit
After you trigger the import your contacts will begin populating in your account after a few minutes. Please keep in mind that depending on the overall size of the import this can take a while.
Note: Privy will not approve purchased lists, nor mailing lists that contain non-permission based contacts. In addition, imported and approved contacts now count towards your scaling email pricing.
If you have a contact that you would like to manually unsubscribe or identify as non-mailable, you can click into that contact name on the contact section of your Privy dashboard, and select the "Unsubscribe" button.
Once you unsubscribe a contact, they will permanently be unsubscribed until either going through checkout and opting to receive your marketing emails, or signing up for an onsite campaign with their email address. We cannot undo this action, but there is a verification screen upon selecting the button to double check that you would like to take this action.