Almost every online shopper can relate to the sheer frustration of spending time searching for a product, selecting the proper size/color, and finally hitting purchase, only to receive an alert saying, "Sorry, the item is out of stock."
An out-of-stock campaign helps reduce customer frustration and disappointment by proactively alerting customers when items are no longer available. Instead, it allows the customer to join a waitlist and stay in touch with your brand. You can then provide them updates on the item they initially tried to buy—which is good for your customer's experience and your business's bottom line.
Create the campaign
To create your out-of-stock campaign:
- Navigate to Plays via the main navigation.
- Select the Build your own button on the Plays dashboard in the upper-right.
- Add a title to your campaign and select Create Campaign.
Now that you've reached the campaign builder view:
- Select the Add a display option.
- On the side menu, select the desired display type - either a Popup or Flyout (Mobile Optimized) is recommended - and then a starting template/layout.
- With a starting design selected, click Choose selected in the upper-right.
Customize your campaign
To customize your out-of-stock campaign:
- Use the campaign designer to customize the display so it correctly identifies the unavailable item and conveys how and why the visitor should sign up for future alerts.
- Select the Save option at the upper right when you complete your design(s).
- Back in the Create step of the campaign builder, make sure to either customize or disable the campaign's thank-you page. A simple thank-you page provides immediate feedback to the subscriber, but isn't necessary as an after sign-up email will be used as well.
Target the right audience
An out-of-stock campaign is most effective when it captures the visitor's attention the moment they land on a product listing that is no longer available. It should also only remain active as long as the product remains unavailable. To ensure this happens, configure the Target settings like this:
- Set the When To Show setting to "Show on timer - immediately" and "Trigger automatically at most - no limit."
- Set the Who To Show It To setting to Add targeting condition, Property = Current URL, Operator = Contains, and Value = the URL of the out-of-stock item(s).
- Set the How Long to Show It setting to either Ongoing or to the specific (fixed) date that you know the item will be back in stock.
- If you are interested in receiving real-time notifications containing the visitor information submitted via this campaign, select the Notifications card and enable them.
Create an after-signup email
Even though you've already communicated the unavailability of the item through your campaign, it's worth sending a follow-up email letting subscribers know that you are aware of their interest. This email is a great place to feature similar products and offer a future discount for their patience. To create a follow-up email for your campaign:
- Navigate to the Follow-up step of the campaign builder.
- Switch the Published toggle to the ON position.
- Select the email subject line to open the email editor.
- Use the email editor to customize the email, including its subject line and Save.
- If you decided to include a coupon, make sure to return to the Create step of the campaign builder and select a coupon code using the Coupon Codes setting.
Launch the campaign
Once the campaign is created, the target audience selected, and the after-signup email configured, select the Publish button at the upper right of the Follow-up step.
The out-of-stock campaign is now live and will appear to your qualifying customers.
Send a back-in-stock email
Your subscribers signed up, hoping that they'll get the opportunity to place an order once the out-of-stock product is available. Make sure to let your customers know when the item they're interested in becomes available by sending them a back-in-stock announcement email. To do so:
- Navigate to Email + Text > Newsletters via the main navigation.
- Select the New Newsletter option at the upper right and select a starting template.
- Customize the newsletter to announce the restock, like in the example below.
- In the Settings step of the email builder, configure the email to send to a custom segment composed of those contacts that submitted the appropriate out-of-stock campaign.
- Next, use the Send or Schedule option to alert your customers of the restock. Track its performance, such as the revenue generated, by following the Analyze email performance guide.
Disable the out-of-stock campaign
Once the back-in-stock email is sent make sure to disable the out-of-stock campaign by navigating to the Convert dashboard and selecting the Stop campaign option on the active campaign.