It can take 24-48 hours to fully propagate the information once you complete the initial setup.
While Privy support is here to answer questions around DNS setup, we do not provide additional guidance or troubleshooting in instances in which the DNS configurations are not behaving as expected. The reason for this is that DNS configurations vary from one webhost provider to another. For any issues, please contact your webhost provider directly.
If you're sending emails out of Privy by default your autoresponder emails, newsletters and more are sent from email@example.com. However, it's easy to send emails instead from your domain by following a few steps below.
To change the domain you're sending from, there are a few criteria that must be met:
- Own your own domain name.
- Have the ability to edit the domain’s DNS records
- Be hosting a website at the root of the domain
Note: It isn’t possible to use this feature with free email addresses such as Gmail or Yahoo.
To add a new sending domain:
- Click on the dropdown arrow located on the upper right corner of your account screen. Then, select the “Business Settings” tab.
2. On the resulting screen, select the “Sending Domains” tab located on the left side of the screen under the "Email Settings" section. Then select the “Add Sending Domain” button on the upper right.
3. On the resulting prompt enter your domain name, such as “example.com” and click the "Save" button.
Note: Subdomains cannot be used.
4. A list of DNS records will appear. Add each of them to your DNS service, one at a time.
Note that there are a mix of CNAME and TXT records.
Once you’ve added the DNS records, click “Verify” next to a domain name to check if the DNS records are correct. View the records again to see which ones require adjustment.
Note: It can take up to 24 hours for DNS records to propagate.
Want someone to set up DNS for you?
You can contact a vetted Privy partner who can access both Privy and your domain provider to make DNS setup a snap:
Normally, we’d suggest to copy and paste the entire host value like so (we have used a test domain in the example below, your records would not be the same as this and will include your domain):
In some cases, depending on the domain host, the DNS records will not fully verify when the domain is included upon being entered (There is nothing that will indicate this on either end).
What we recommend to troubleshoot is removing the domain from each host value we provide. Using the example above it should be changed to the following:
When the provided DNS records are entered into the domain host correctly it should verify immediately. In some cases there may be a delay but there is no way to determine this other than allowing up to 48 hours to pass.
Note: You will still be able to send emails from your domain if the TXT record for scph1218._domainkey is not verified. In some cases your domain will use their DKIM.
If records have not verified after 48 hours please do the following:
- Attempt the verification process again
- Contact your web host
To Use a Sending Domain in a Privy Email:
After your sending domain is verified, the first thing you will want to do is set your email default "from" address to be an email address with your domain. You will need to navigate to the "Sender Options" section of your "Email Settings" as shown on the left. Next, you will want to update the address by typing out the value before the "@" symbol in the from email address, and update to your sending domain from the dropdown that will currently read "privymktg.com". This will update all emails that you create moving forward.
For emails that were previously setup or built, you will need go into to the emails themselves to edit and update.
1. Go into the email editor and click on the “From:” field, the card will open.
2. Select a verified sending domain to use, then enter the rest of the information as you’d like the address to appear.
3. Click Save.
Tips for Where to Update your DNS Records
You can update your DNS records wherever you registered or manage your domain names.
Not all domain registration services will allow you to edit all DNS records; if you cannot update the records below, contact your DNS provider for information on how to get these records updated.
The process of editing your DNS records will depend on what domain provider you are using. We've compiled links to documentation for some common providers here:
- Why won't my DNS records verify?
- Setup Sending Domain for Shopify (DNS)
- Setup Sending Domain for GoDaddy (DNS)
- Setup Sending Domain for Domain.com (DNS)