If you have signed up for Privy's Automate plan, you can send Order Follow Up Emails to all of your mailable contacts who: visit your site, add an item to their cart, and then complete a purchase.
Sending an email to the customers who have completed a purchase builds brand loyalty, and can drive traffic back to your site to create and encourage repeat customers.
Setting up an Order Follow Up (or email series) is one of the most effective things you can do for your business. Initial set up is easy - do it once and Order Follow Up Emails will automatically send based on the options you choose.
Before you start creating your emails, make sure you have integrated one of the following eCommerce platforms with Privy:
- Shopify or Shopify Plus
Privy’s Order Follow Up Emails can be sent to any mailable contact who has completed a purchase through the checkout flow. To become a mailable contact, the person needs to have either signed up for a Privy onsite campaign or checked the opt in ('keep me up to date on news and offers' ) box during checkout.
You are able to insert an Order Summary content placeholder so that people who receive this email are able to see the contents of their purchase as an itemized list.
Also, if you’ve enabled order follow up or confirmation emails from your eCommerce platform or other Email Service Provider, you’ll want to turn those off to ensure that some shoppers aren’t being emailed twice.
How to Create and Send Your Order Follow Up Emails (Step-by-Step)
1. Create your email campaign. From the Emails section of your dashboard, click the “ Order Follow Up Emails” button.
2. Create an internal name for your email, something that makes it easily recognizable.
3. Customize your Email. Click the “Email Content” section at the top to open and edit the content of your email using our Drag and Drop Email Editor. We’ve provided a very simple starting point and you can add the order summary, a coupon code, images, change the text and add/edit the links. Note that the “Keep Shopping” button defaults to linking to the URL you've included in your "business settings" within Privy, but you can easily edit the link to send people back to their account to review their order confirmation. Once you are done editing your email, click save.
Edit Your Email Settings
4. Edit your subject line. We’ve given you a default but you can change it to whatever you’d like. We recommend something that makes it clear that the recipient has completed a purchase.
5. Update your Preview Text. Preview text, sometimes known as 'preheader', is the snippet of text that appears after the email subject line when someone receives your email. You can always leave your preview text blank, if so this copy is pulled in from the body of the email. Preview text has a recommended character count of 35-55 characters and does support Merge Tags.
6. Confirm your reply to address. You can edit this email address if you’d like or update the default email and physical address of your company in your business settings. In addition, you should update your sending domain to be your own domain if you have not yet done so.
7. Set your minimum and maximum total purchase value. Enter the minimum and/or maximum amount of cart value that a shopper should have purchased to receive this order follow up email. The default is $1 for maximum value, because there has to be a value to the purchase in order for someone to be receiving an order follow up email.
8. Add a discount (optional). You can choose to offer an incentive to your customers that will encourage them to come back and make another purchase. Just choose a coupon from the drop down menu. To drive urgency, you could choose to use a unique coupon that expires within a few days.
Depending on your discount strategy, you may want to add a discount to a subsequent email in your Order Follow Up Email series (see below) instead of the first.
9. Set the timing of your email. Choose the length of time since someone purchased that you want to wait before sending the Order Follow Up email. The default setting is four hours, but you can adjust this to meet your business needs up to 30 days (720 hours) after someone makes a purchase.
10. Click enable. Now your email will start sending to all mailable contacts who meet the cart value and timing criteria. You can revisit your settings (or pause) at any time.
11. Create your second Order Follow Up Email (optional). Creating a series gives your shoppers more opportunities to come back to your site and make subsequent purchases.
Just be sure to leave enough time between your emails so that your shoppers feel reminded but not inundated. For example, if your first email sends 4 hours after their purchase, your second email shouldn't send until at least 48 hours after their purchase.