Syncing a contact's coupon code information to an external email service provider (ESP) allows you to gauge the contact's recent activities more easily and craft personalized messaging around their campaign signups or the coupon code they've been provided.
Before you begin
Please make sure your Privy account is properly integrated with your ESP. Privy integrates with many of the industry's leading email service providers. You can link your accounts by following these steps or searching the Knowledge Base for provider-specific steps.
If your accounts aren't linked, no information will be shared.
Add a hidden form field
Hidden form fields can be used to pass values into a contact's record without requiring the contact to fill in that information on the campaign's form. This approach allows you to use as few form fields as possible while still collecting the information that is important to your business.
In this case, you will want to add a field that automatically collects the coupon code presented to a contact after they signup via a campaign. To add this hidden field to a campaign:
- Navigate to the Convert > All Campaigns via the main navigation.
- Select or create a campaign that includes a form.
- In the Create step of the campaign builder, select the Form fields option.
- Select the Add Field button, followed by the hidden field type from the dropdown menu.
- Click the Insert Detected Attributes dropdown menu, scroll down, and select the Coupon Code option. This should auto-populate the field's name and value.
- Select the Save option.
The campaign will now collect and store any coupon code presented to the customer as a result of their campaign signup.
Map the field to your provider
Since you are using an external service to send messages or store contact information, it is important to map the hidden fields to that service. The mapping(s) ensure that all the data you are collecting in your form and associating with your contacts appears in your database in the right spot. The mapping(s) should be done before you launch your campaign.
Field mapping is a common practice and fundamentally breaks down to matching a Privy field with a field in an external provider. The easiest way to ensure compatibility is to configure your fields so that they share the same label and the same internal name across each platform. In this case, you should create a field/property that uses coupon_code as its internal value. Learn more.
Add a campaign automation rule
To sync the signup information, including the hidden coupon code field, collected by a campaign:
- Navigate to Convert > All Campaigns.
- Select the campaign that includes the hidden coupon code field.
- Navigate to the Follow-up step of the campaign builder.
- Click the Sync signups button, select your external provider from the dropdown menu, configure the presented options, and Save.
The information collected by this campaign in the appropriately mapped fields will now sync to the selected external provider while also being stored in Privy.
Note: These settings must be set for each campaign individually. Each signup will attempt to overwrite any previously synced information. The historical values may be reviewable in your external provider; however, this functionality varies by platform.