If you have signed up for Privy's Email plan, you can send Abandoned Cart Emails to all of your mailable contacts who: visit your site, add an item to their cart, and then leave without completing the purchase.
Sending an email to the customers who leave items in their cart encourages them to complete their purchase. Most of our merchants recover between 10% and 20% of abandoned carts, which means a lot more revenue for you!
Setting up an Abandoned Cart Email (or email series) is one of the most effective things you can do for your business. Initial set up is easy - do it once and Abandoned Cart Emails will automatically send based on the options you choose.
Before you start creating your emails, make sure you have integrated one of the following eCommerce platforms with Privy:
- Shopify Plus
If you're using Shopify or Shopify Plus, please note:
Privy’s Abandoned Cart Emails can be sent to any contact who: has signed up on a Privy form OR any contact who has reached the checkout page and entered through the Shopify checkout flow.
Also, if you’ve enabled abandoned checkout emails from your eCommerce platform or other Email Service Provider, you’ll want to turn those off to ensure that some shoppers aren’t being emailed twice. Using Privy's Abandoned Cart Email solution ensures that you reach the widest possible audience.
How to Create and Send Your Abandoned Cart Emails (Step-by-Step)
1. Create your email campaign. From the Abandon Cart Email section of your dashboard, click the “Add Abandoned Cart Email” button.
2. Create an internal name for your email, something that makes it easily recognizable.
3. Customize your Email. Click the “Email Content” section at the top to open and edit the content of your email using our Drag and Drop Email Editor. We’ve provided a very simple starting point and you can add your most popular products, a coupon code, images, change the text and add/edit the links. Note that the “Keep Shopping” button defaults to linking to the URL you've included in your "business settings" within Privy, but you can easily edit the link to send people back to their shopping cart. Once you are done editing your email, click save.
4. Edit your subject line. We’ve given you a default but you can change it to whatever you’d like. We recommend something that makes it clear that the recipient has left an item in their shopping cart.
5. Confirm your reply to address. You can edit this email address if you’d like or update the default email and physical address of your company in your business settings. In addition, you should update your sending domain to be your own domain if you have not yet done so.
6. Set your minimum cart value. Enter the minimum amount of cart value that a shopper should have to receive an abandoned cart email. The default is $1, this means anyone who has any value in their cart should receive the email.
8. Add a discount (optional). You can choose to offer an incentive to your customers that will encourage them to complete their purchase. Just choose a coupon from the drop down menu. To drive urgency, you could choose to use a unique coupon that expires within a few days.
Depending on your discount strategy, you may want to add a discount to the second email in your Abandoned Cart Email series (see below) instead of the first.
9. Set the timing of your email. Choose the length of time since someone visited your site you want to wait before sending your abandoned cart email. The default setting is one hour, but you can adjust this to meet your business needs.
10. Click enable. Now your email will start sending to all mailable contacts who meet the cart value and timing criteria. You can revisit your settings (or pause) at any time.
11. Create your second Abandoned Cart Email (optional). Creating an Abandoned Cart Email series gives your shoppers more opportunities to complete their purchase.
Just be sure to leave enough time between your emails so that your shoppers feel reminded but not inundated. For example, if your first email sends 1 hour after cart abandonment, your second email shouldn't send until at least 24 hours after cart abandonment.
Note - Once a user completes a purchase, they will no longer receive emails from that particular abandoned cart email series.