A cross-sell encourages or incentivizes customers to add additional items or upgrades to their cart before finalizing their purchase. More often than not, a cross-sell does not need a discount as an incentive as the add-on should directly complement their current need. That said, you may want to make a particular cross-sell especially appealing, and the inclusion of a discount would certainly do that.
If you are interested in exploring this topic in more detail, a class concerning increasing your average order value (AOV) via cross-sell and free shipping bars is available on Privy's YouTube channel here.
Note: The product targeting and button action link used in this guide are only available to Privy accounts integrated with a Shopify storefront.
Create the discount link
To create a link that automatically adds a Shopify product to a shopper's cart and applies a discount at checkout:
- Navigate to your Shopify admin and view a product.
- Add .xml to the end of the URL and refresh your browser.
- On the subsequent XML page, locate the Variants section and copy the id type="integer" value for the desired variant. If you have multiple variants, each will have its own variant section with unique values (e.g., IDs, Title/Name, Price, etc.).
- Incorporate your store name, the desired master coupon code, and the located variant ID into the permalink below. If you don't have a code in mind, create one by following these steps.
- Copy the link for inclusion in your cross-sell campaign.
Create the campaign
To create a cross-sell campaign while integrated with Shopify:
- Navigate to Convert > All Campaigns and click the New campaign button.
- In the prompt, select the Build Your Own option, provide an internal name, and then click the Create Campaign button.
- In the Create step of the campaign builder, select the Form fields card, uncheck the Enable Form? option, and then click Save.
- While still in the Create step, select the Add a display option.
- Select a form-free or cross-sell display template to showcase your items - a flyout or a banner is recommended - and then click the Choose selected option in the upper right.
- Customize the display with an image from your Shopify catalog or computer and an add-to-cart button for each product. For the button action, select the Redirect page to option and then paste the "discount link" you created earlier into the field.
- Select the Save option at the upper right.
- Next, move to the Target step and switch the When To Show setting to 3 or 5 seconds. Save.
- Select the Who To Show It To setting and click Add targeting condition.
- Add the two rules listed below with an AND operator and Save.
- Cart value is greater than 0 - This rule ensures a product is in the customer's cart.
- Cart Product IDs contains any of () - This rule ensures the customer has products in their cart that complement the cross-sell. Alternatively, you could also use a "does not contain" version if you'd simply like to bring attention to products that aren't in the customer's cart. New products or best-sellers often have this wider and more general appeal.
- Select the How Long to Show It setting if you'd like the cross-sell to expire. Save.
- In the upper right, click the Publish button and confirm in the prompt.
The cross-sell campaign is now live and will appear to your qualifying customers. When the visitor moves to checkout, the discount will be applied.