A cross-sell encourages or incentivizes customers to add additional items or upgrades to their cart before finalizing their purchase. More often than not, a cross-sell does not need a discount as an incentive as the add-on should directly complement their current need. That said, you may want to make a particular cross-sell especially appealing, and the inclusion of a discount would certainly do that.
If you are interested in exploring this topic in more detail, a class concerning increasing your average order value (AOV) via cross-sell and free shipping bars is available on Privy's YouTube channel here.
Note: The product targeting and button action link used in this guide are only available to Privy accounts integrated with a Shopify storefront.
Create the discount link
To create a link that automatically adds a Shopify product to a shopper's cart and applies a discount at checkout:
- Navigate to your Shopify admin and view a product.
- Add .xml to the end of the URL and refresh your browser.
- On the subsequent XML page, locate the Variants section and copy the id type="integer" value for the desired variant. If you have multiple variants, each will have its own variant section with unique values (e.g., IDs, Title/Name, Price, etc.).
- Incorporate your store name, the desired master coupon code, and the located variant ID into the permalink below. If you don't have a code in mind, create one by following these steps.
- Copy the link for inclusion in your cross-sell campaign.
Create the campaign
To create a cross-sell campaign while integrated with Shopify:
- Navigate to Convert and click the New campaign button.
- In the prompt, select the Build Your Own option, provide an internal name, and then click the Create Campaign button.
- In the Create step of the campaign builder, select the Form fields card, uncheck the Enable Form? option, and then click Save.
- While still in the Create step, select the Add a display option.
- Select a form-free or cross-sell display template to showcase your items - a flyout or a banner is recommended - and then click the Choose selected option in the upper right.
- Customize the display with an image from your Shopify catalog or computer and an add to cart button for each product. For the button action, select the Redirect page to option and then paste the "discount link" you created earlier into the field.
- Select the Save option at the upper right.
- Next, move to the Target step and switch the When To Show setting to 3 or 5 seconds. Save.
- Select the Who To Show It To setting and click Add targeting condition.
- Add the two rules listed below with an AND operator and Save.
- Cart value is greater than 1 - This rule ensures a product is in the customer's cart.
- Cart Product IDs contains any of () - This rule ensures the customer has products in their cart that complement the cross-sell. Alternatively, you could also use a "does not contain" version if you'd simply like to bring attention to products that aren't in the customer's cart. New products or best-sellers often have this wider and more general appeal.
- Select the How Long to Show It setting if you'd like the cross-sell to expire. Save.
- In the upper right, click the Publish button and confirm in the prompt.
The cross-sell campaign is now live and will appear to your qualifying customers. When the visitor moves to checkout, the discount will be applied.