Newsletters are a powerful tool for any e-commerce business. The messages sent through this channel can circulate important information, establish your brand's reputation, strengthen your relationship with customers, and help move recipients through your sales funnel.
With newsletters you can:
- Create completely customizable emails using the drag-and-drop email designer.
- Send one-time emails to all of your contacts or a specific pre-defined segment of contacts.
- Select the specific date and time that the email will send.
To send a fully realized newsletter, you will need:
- A Privy email subscription so the emails can be sent to customers.
Newsletters are a simple and convenient way to build relationships and provide value to your customers. Check out some situations where newsletters shine below.
Promote new products and services - New products and services are commonplace for a business that is adapting to the needs of its marketplace. Newsletters are ideally suited for keeping your customers informed about those new offerings.
Offer promotions - Newsletters are an outstanding opportunity to offer deals and discounts. A special offer promoted via a newsletter is often just enough extra encouragement to convince a customer to make a purchase.
To understand how effective your newsletter promotion is at creating new sales, consider creating a unique coupon that is exclusive to a specific newsletter send or mailing list. This approach lets you track the usage of this discount code and see how many of your recipients actually converted.
Build relationships and credibility - Newsletters are a fantastic opportunity to share your knowledge and insight with your customers. This information goes a long way in establishing your credibility and fostering long term relationships.
Qualify your leads - When someone subscribes to your newsletter, they've expressed an interest in your business and become a lead. Over time, the subscriber's engagements with your messages can be a powerful indication of their intentions. Their interest may increase or remain high, as indicated by consistent email opens and clicks. On the other hand, their interest may wane as indicated by less interaction or an unsubscribe. Ultimately, being mindful of your customer behavior allows you to focus on those who are still interested in your offerings.
Create and send your emails
To create and send a newsletter:
- Navigate to Emails + Texts > Newsletters.
- Click the New email button.
- In the prompt, input a name for your email and click the Create button.
Customize the email
- Select the template you would like to use as a starting point and click the Choose selected button to have it applied to the email. Once the template is applied, edit the content of your email using the drag and drop email editor.
- Click the Save button once the desired email edits are complete.
Configure the coupon settings
After editing the coupon settings, please select the section’s Save button.
- Add a discount. Select the optional coupon drop-down menu to offer an incentive to your customers that will encourage them to complete their purchase.
- Add a merge tag. If a coupon is selected, ensure the email contains a Coupon Code merge tag. This tag will populate with the coupon code when the email is sent to customers.
Configure the email sender info
After each edit to the email’s settings, please select the section’s Save button.
- Select the recipients. This setting allows you to choose whether you send your email to all of the mailable contacts or to a predetermined segment.
- Confirm the default Sender (From) Name and Address. These values can be updated in the Sender Options section of your Business Settings. Additionally, you should update your sending domain to be your domain if you have not yet done so.
- Confirm or select a reply-to address. Any replies to the email will go to this address.
- Edit the subject line. Keep it interesting, on-brand, and make it clear that something has been left in the customer’s cart.
- Provide preview text. The text appears after your subject line when viewing the email in the inbox and allows the addition of compelling copy that helps boost open rates and engagement. The text should be 35 to 55 characters and does support Merge Tags.
- Determine when the newsletter will be sent. This setting allows you to determine the date and time your newsletter will send. You can ignore this setting if you intend to send the newsletter manually (e.g., Immediately).
Test the email
With an email customized, return to the top of the email editor and click the Send Test Email button to make sure all of the content displays as expected in your inbox.
Schedule or send the email
To activate a newsletter once its design, content, and settings are customer-ready:
- Click the Save button in the email builder if you haven't already.
- Scroll to the bottom of the email settings page and click the Schedule it or the Send button. Selecting the Send button will prompt the email to go out immediately and will ignore any settings configured in the Schedule section of the email's Sender Info.
- Confirm your decision to activate in the subsequent prompt.
Now that you are using newsletters to communicate with customers: