Does Privy integrate with Google Analytics?
Yes. This guide walks through our default Google Analytics integration.
How do I view the data Privy is sending to Google Analytics?
Assuming you have followed the instructions at Google Analytics integration,
log into Google Analytics. Click on a view listed under the property you have set up during your installation of Google Analytics.
Click on "Behavior" on the menu on the left, expand "Events", and then select "Overview."
In the right pane, make sure "Event Category" is selected under "Top Events." Under "Event Category" select "Privy."
Note: If no events with the category of "Privy" are visible, you may need to expand the time frame of your report (top right of the page) or no events have been tracked for your campaigns yet.
By selecting the "Event Action" link, you will be able to see the total number of campaign views and campaign signups across all of your Privy onsite campaigns.
If you would like to see more specifically which Privy campaigns are getting how many views and signups, you can also select the Event Action itself, whether that's "viewed-campaign" or "new-signup" to see these metrics by campaign ID.
You can locate your Privy onsite campaign ID by clicking into the campaign itself in the URL as shown below.
How does Privy know which accounts to send the data to?
Once you have enabled Google Analytics tracking in Privy, Privy will automatically detect all Google Analytics trackers on the same pages it's installed on. Whenever a Privy event is triggered, it will be fired for ALL detected trackers.
For example, if you have trackers with tracking IDs of "UA-XXXXXXXX-1" and "UA-XXXXXXXX-2" installed on a page, Privy events will be fired for BOTH trackers.
Firing events on a subset of trackers installed on a page with Privy is not yet supported.
Does this work if I have Google Tag Manager?
Privy does not support the usage of Google Analytics event tracking in conjunction with Google Tag manager.
What do I do if I want more configurability, or want to send different event names/data?
Why don’t Privy’s reports match Google Analytics?
Google Analytics and other reporting systems may differ from reports in Privy’s dashboard. Here are a few examples of why you might see a discrepancy:
- Privy campaigns are not designed to be shown on all pages and for all visitors, so Privy campaign views will never be directly comparable to pageviews or uniques.
- Bot and spider traffic might trigger Privy campaigns, but this traffic may be filtered from your Google Analytics reports.
- Timezone differences may push reporting into different days than expected.
- Some reports aren’t real time, leading to incomparable results (Privy’s dashboard is always real time).
- Some users use Adblock or other privacy plugins that block Google Analytics. Some other users block applications like Privy.
- Google Analytics and Privy don’t always agree on the definition of a unique user, since the two can differ in how they treat cross-device traffic, first party cookies, and session expiration.
- If you installed Privy and Google Analytics at different times, the two systems will never be in sync with respect to new and returning visitors.
- Incomplete installation of Privy or Google Analytics code can mean the two systems are tracking different pages or visitors.