A cart saver campaign encourages visitors who have started the checkout process to complete their purchase if they indicate that they are about to leave. A cart saver campaign combines exit-intent triggers with a popup display, page targeting, and a special offer to make sure that you're taking your best shot to close a sale every time.
Need some inspiration before you begin? Check out some customer examples.
Note: The audience targeting used in this guide is only available to Privy accounts integrated with BigCommerce, Shopify, Squarespace, or Wix storefronts.
Create the campaign
To create a cart saver campaign:
- Navigate to Convert > All Campaigns and click the New campaign button.
- On the Plays dashboard, select the Cart Saver option and decide if you'd like to offer the visitor a coupon for signing up.
- Use the campaign designer to customize the display so that it reflects the associated offer (e.g., 10% of $5 off) and your company branding. If you would like to leverage a different template as a starting point, select the Templates option at the upper right.
- Once the design is complete, select the Save option at the upper right.
- After saving, switch to the Create step and configure the form fields you'd like the campaign to include. The form collects the visitor's email by default. If you add additional fields, please review your display's design as a larger form can affect your design. You can also review or update the coupon setting selected earlier on this page.
- Next, click on the Thank You Page Design option.
- Use the campaign designer to customize the thank-you page to reflect your company branding and encourage the visitor to utilize the offer. For example, you could create a button or link that automatically applies the coupon code to their existing cart.
- Select the Save option at the upper right.
Target the right audience
By default, a cart saver campaign created using the Cart Saver play appears to visitors who have:
- Met your selected trigger criteria (e.g., An exit attempt).
- Have products valued at more than $0 in their cart.
- Have not already signed up for another campaign.
The campaign will continue on an ongoing basis until it is disabled. To change any of these default options, move to the Target step, and customize the desired settings.
- The When To Show setting determines when the display appears to the visitor. If you make any changes, please select Save.
- The Who To Show It To setting targets the specific segment of visitors outlined in the section above. If you update these settings to include various other attributes, activities, and behaviors, please select Save.
- The How Long to Show It setting determines how long the campaign will appear to visitors. Update the setting if you'd like the campaign to expire on a specific fixed date and Save.
- The Notifications setting allows you to enable or disable real-time notifications for your users. These notifications will alert the user of new campaign signups immediately. If you make any changes, please select Save.
Follow-up the campaign
To sync the campaign's signups to another service or send a follow-up message to the customers that submitted the campaign, move to the Follow-up step, and review the following optional options:
- Enable and customize the default after signup email to send an email to the individuals that decided to sign up for the campaign.
- Select the Send welcome series option to send additional after signup emails.
- Select the Sync signups option to sync the signups to a list in a linked account. If you're not using Privy Email, this setting is particularly important as it ensures the contact information (e.g., Email address) is available in the third-party provider.
- Select the Send text message option to send an after signup text message to the individuals that decided to sign up for the campaign.
Note: The text message option requires a Privy Text subscription. Additionally, a customer is only eligible to receive texts if their phone number was collected via a Privy campaign using the phone field, they checked the text opt-in checkbox, and they answered "YES" to the double opt-in message sent to their number.
Launch the campaign
Once the campaign has been created, the target audience selected, and any desired follow-up messages configured, select the Publish button at the upper right of the Follow-up step and confirm your decision in the prompt.
The cart saver campaign is now live and will appear to your qualifying customers.