A welcome discount campaign appears as soon as your visitor arrives or shortly after their arrival. Its main goal is to grab the visitor's attention and entice them to provide their contact information. The vast majority of first-time visitors aren't going to make a purchase when they first explore your site, so this is a significant opportunity to connect with the visitor and stay in touch. Every email you capture is worth, on average, $33 in future sales.
Need some inspiration before you begin? Check out some customer examples.
Before you begin
A welcome discount campaign uses a discount offer to entice visitors to submit their contact information. Please create a coupon before starting the steps outlined below. If you do not, you will be prompted to do so during setup and will need to restart the campaign creation process.
Create the campaign
To create a welcome discount campaign:
- Navigate to Plays via the main navigation.
- Locate the Welcome Discount Popup or Welcome Discount Flyout play and select Create.
- Select the discount you'd like to offer via the prompt and select Continue.
- This action opens the campaign editor, where you'll see a default layout as a starting point for your campaign's design. If you selected the Welcome Discount Popup play, change the default layout by selecting the Popup option from the sidebar and selecting the Change layout option in the Display Styles section. Don't worry - if you decide to change the layout later, your content changes (e.g., Headline) carry over. The Welcome Discount Flyout layout cannot be changed.
- With a layout selected, use the campaign editor to customize the campaign's content, tabs, and thank you page to match your brand. You can access each component of the campaign via the Displays menu and can easily edit each element of a display by selecting areas of the preview.
- Next, use the Desktop Preview and Mobile Preview buttons to ensure the campaign meets your design goals for each view. All layouts are designed for desktop and mobile responsiveness by default; however, it's always best to check.
- The campaign is ready to collect visitor information. To launch it on your site, use the Publish button at the top right. If you aren't ready to publish or would like to further customize the campaign's settings, such as the targeting and after signup actions, select Save instead.
Target the right audience
As with all Privy plays, a recommended target audience is already selected for your campaign. In this case, a welcome discount appears after 10 seconds to new visitors who haven't previously submitted a campaign a maximum of once per day until the campaign is disabled. To change these default settings, click on the appropriate card and update the settings.
- The When To Show setting allows you to determine when and how often the campaign appears to visitors. If you make any changes, please select Save.
- The Who To Show It To setting allows you to target a more specific segment of your visitors instead of all visitors. If you update these settings to include various other attributes, activities, and behaviors, please select Save.
- The How Long to Show It setting determines how long the campaign will appear to visitors. Update the setting if you'd like the campaign to expire on a specific fixed date and Save.
- The Notifications setting allows you to enable or disable real-time notifications for your users. These notifications will alert the user of new campaign signups immediately. If you make any changes, please select Save.
Follow-up the campaign
To sync the campaign's signups to another service or send a follow-up message to the customers that submitted the campaign, move to the Follow-up step, and review the following optional options:
- Enable and customize the default after signup email to send an email to the individuals that decided to sign up for the campaign.
- Select the Create series option to send additional after signup emails.
- Select the Sync signups option to sync the signups to a list in a linked account. If you're not using Privy Email, this setting is particularly important as it ensures the contact information (e.g., Email address) is available in the third-party provider.
- Select the Send text message option to send an after signup text message to the individuals that decided to sign up for the campaign.
Note: The text message option requires a Privy Text subscription. Additionally, a customer is only eligible to receive texts if their phone number was collected via a Privy campaign using the phone field, they checked the text opt-in checkbox, and they answered "YES" to the double opt-in message sent to their number.
Launch the campaign
Once the campaign has been created, the target audience selected, and any desired follow-up messages configured, select the Publish button at the upper right of the Follow-up step and confirm your decision in the prompt.
The countdown timer campaign is now live and will appear to your qualifying customers.
Review the results
After a campaign is published, you can dig into its performance by navigating to the All Campaigns dashboard, selecting the campaign, and clicking the Results option.